July 9, 2026: Digital Detox

Reflecting on last week's digital detox:
In short, it did not happen. Did it?
I wish I could have done a digital detox detox... No checking emails, not reading papers and writing, not doing assignments, not procrastinating on Instagram or YouTube, not following the gams of the World Cup, etc.
But as a student, you are "naturally" on your computer or phone, which is not ideal for a successful detox. However, I was trying to be more mindful about my digital consumption. For example, I intentionally left my phone far away from my desk to concentrate on my work, read some chapters of a book instead of scrolling on my phone, or did not watch movies or series during lunch or dinner. The experience was great. I was more present and noticed how quickly clouds move and how the weather can change here in Florida. I also enjoyed "reading" again, just for fun.
I realized that a digital detox doesn't mean completely giving up the internet or avoiding technology altogether. (Although I have to admit, I like the idea. If I weren't using the internet, I surely wouldn't have to do my assignments either. I assume calling family and friends would still be allowed, even in a strict digital detox. It is just online, not in-person.)
Instead, digital detox is about using technology intentionally and knowing when it truly adds value to your life. The goal is to create a healthy balance where digital tools enhance our lives without dominating our next activities.
Your post is very much to the point. I did not do detox at all. Instead, I was experimenting with making my first posts on LinkedIn. It was fun because I did it on my own, without deadlines or rush. Actually, I just needed to prove to myself that I could do it. Intrinsic motivation is a powerful force. I hope that I am able to create tasks that will motivate my students in this way.
ReplyDelete